It is the end to another work week – thank heavens! It sure has been a busy one. Last weekend was wonderful because we had family visiting, however, unfortunately, several folks also ended up being sick. On Saturday, I cooked some soup because, who doesn’t love soup when they feel bad?!
I love good Broccoli & Cheese Soup. It’s comforting, warm, cheesy, broccoli-y. Practically perfect in every way! I have only recently learned how to make this simple meal and actually try out the recipe. As with making any new dish, I was afraid the results would be disastrous, but it turned out delicious and quite edible 😉 .
It was very easy to make and took very little effort. A little easy mixing and the rest of the time is spent allowing the ingredients to simmer and soak up the perfect amount of yummy-ness and flavor!
This recipe gave us a good 6 servings. It was easy to reheat – tip: when reheating, add a little water as it will get thick when refrigerated.
Creamy Broccoli & Cheese Soup
A creamy, cheesy, broccoli soup that hits the spot perfectly!
I added 2 slices of gouda cheese to my soup as well for something a little extra!
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1lb fresh broccoli
- 1 cup thin sliced baby carrots
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Saute the diced onion in 1tbsp of melted butter and then set aside.
- In a pot, whisk together the 1/4 cup melted butter and flour on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour in slowly while whisking.
- Slowly whisk in the half-and-half and chicken broth until thoroughly mixed. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli, onions, and carrots. Allow this to simmer for 25 minutes, or until tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt & pepper, and cheese. Allow cheese to melt & stir well.
- Serve hot with some homemade bread on the side!
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
If you try it, let me know how what you think!