Did everyone’s eyesight survive the solar eclipse?! I tell ya, that was quite a big deal around here. Schools were cancelled, people were in a panic. Funny thing was, we weren’t even in the direct path of the eclipse. But hey, these things only happen every once in a while, right? Why not cause a little ruckus.
On the flip side, I’m pretty sure that the eclipse, combined with general weather habits in our region, have completely thrown the whole system of all that we know as right, completely off track. It has been a week, let me tell you!
So anyhow, this week I needed several nights of super easy, and tasty, meals that didn’t make me feel guilty. Something filling & nutritious, that was also packed with tons of flavor. So, there I went, tossing odds and ends together, and ended up making some turkey burritos. They were so yummy & very quick to make. I cooked up my meats and veggies together, tossed them on top of some seasoned brown rice, and served. We put a little cheese on the mix and tossed it all in an Ole Xtreme Wellness wrap. I love these! They are super light and tasty. If you haven’t tried them, I suggest you do. They are high in fiber and lacking in cholesterol and fat. I am a bread-eater, so this gives me a simple substitute. I also used the minute brown rice and it was perfect!
Quick & Easy Turkey Burritos
A healthier burrito option packed with a ton of flavor!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (I used 97% lean)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup zucchini sliced
- 1/2 can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 can corn, drained
- 1/3 cup sliced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 2 tsp chili and cumin
- 2 packages minute brown rice
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a pot, boil water and cook minute rice as instructed on packaging.
- While rice is cooking, in a separate pan, put in ground turkey and onions. Cook until beginning to brown, then add in garlic, zucchini, kidney beans, corn, tomatoes. Continue to stir and cook. Add in small amounts of water if needed to keep from drying out.
- While cooking, add in chili and cumin. May add salt and pepper, if needed.
- When rice is done. Drain and add in lime juice, butter, and cilantro. Put seasoned rice at bottom of dish, add the turkey and veggie mix on top.
- Serve in a delicious wrap and toss in a little cheese. Enjoy!