Finally Friday, free again! Well, at least from work for 2 days. I hope everyone has had a good week thus far. We are having another cold front pass through, so the weather has become chilly again for several days. Maybe this time the weather will realize that it’s autumn and the cool will stick around for a while!
I made a new dish a couple of weeks ago as a little reminder of our trip to Vegas. While it was of course not nearly as great as the wonderful meal we had at Nine Fine Irishmen, it definitely brought a smile to my face. Inside of New York New York, the Nine Fine Irishmen Pub offers unique decor, a great vibe, and delicious food! We decided to try the chef’s special that night and were greatly pleased. It was a creamy penne pasta with asparagus and crab. So tasty and filling. It was definitely worth taking a chance and trying something new.
See my post: The Sweet Side of Vegas
So while I was sitting at home and lacking in both crab and penne pasta at the time, I had this dish on my mind. So, as many of my meals go, I improvised and used some three cheese tortellini and chicken that I had on hand. I used some tomatoes that I had previously frozen as well as some frozen pulled chicken I keep on hand. That helped to make the preparation and cooking of this meal go by much quicker! After all, quick meals are my favorite, especially on week nights!
Creamy Tortellini With Chicken & Pasta
A hearty meal that is sure to hit the spot!
- 1 package three cheese tortellini
- 3 cups cooked & shredded chicken breast
- 10 to 12 asparagus spears chopped to approx 1″ pieces
- 1/2 to 2/3 can of drained roasted tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 oz Basil Alfredo sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- In a pot, begin cooking tortellini per package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add olive oil, asparagus, tomatoes, and chicken. Cook until asparagus becomes somewhat tender (between 7-10 min).
- Add in sauce, chicken broth, garlic, capers, onion, and parmesan cheese to pan with veggies and chicken. Stir slowly until mixed well. Add in cooked tortellini. If needed, add salt & pepper.
- Allow to simmer for several minutes until thickened and warm throughout.
- Enjoy! 🙂
As with all shared recipes, if you try it, let me know what you think. Did you make changes?